Classes and Schools
Laurie Erikson of Sonoma Scent Studio has an excellent list of Perfumery Classes and Schools around the world. Pia Long, a Finnish perfumer in England, followed a non-traditional route and writes a lovely account of how to become a perfumer and her own personal journey.
- Mandy Aftel – Classes, workshops, and books for the natural perfumer.
- Eliza Douglas – In-person perfume classes in New York, for adults and children.
- Karen Gilbert – Online natural perfume class, based in UK. Also offers in-person courses.
- Anya McCoy – Self-study natural perfume class.
- Perfumer’s World – Kits, correspondence courses, and in-person training. Here’s a review of a course.
- Jeanne Rose – Aromatherapy courses. The basic one for home & family is very affordable.
- The Grasse Institute of Perfumery – Intensive, short courses for 9-months and also a 2-week summer course. Jessica September Buchanan provides a wonderful window into her time at the GIP. Clayton Ilolahia shares his experience with the GIP 2-week intensive.
- International Centre for Aroma Trade Studies-mixed naturals and synthetics. In compliance with IFRA.
- The Perfumery Art School – online and live courses, based in UK, naturals only.
- Basenotes Fragrance DIY – Very active and friendly group. Lots of good information for beginners.
- Yahoo Perfumemaking Group – A bit harder to navigate than Basenotes and less active. Still, friendly people and good resources here for both synthetic and natural perfumers.
- Yahoo Natural Perfumery Group – Active online group dedicated to natural perfumery, founded by Anya McCoy.
Blogs / Web sites
- Bois de Jasmin – Wonderful writing by IFF-trained Victoria Frovlova. Perfume reviews, notes, and more.
- First Nerve – Science of scent blog by sensory psychologist Avery Gilbert.
- Fragrantica – Fragrance encyclopedia.
- Aromaweb Essential Oil Directory – Essential oil properties, uses, and benefits.
- A Small Guide to Nature’s Fragrances – Chemical composition of essential oils.
- An Introduction to Perfumery by Curtis and Williams
- Perfumery: Practice and Principles by Robert R. Calkin and J. Stephan Jellinek
- Perfume: The Alchemy of Scent by Jean-Claude Ellena
- The Diary of a Nose: A Year in the Life of a Parfumeur by Jean-Claude Ellena
- What the Nose Knows by Avery Gilbert
- Perfumes: The A-Z Guide by Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez
- Essence and Alchemy: A Natural History of Perfume by Mandy Aftel
- Fragrant: The Secret Life of Scent by Mandy Aftel
Recipes, Formulas, and How-To’s
- Eden Botanicals Natural Perfumery Basics
- White Lotus Aromatics Recipes
- Aromatics International Aromatherapy Recipes
- Save on Scents Fragrance Formulas
- Yahoo Perfumemaking Group Formulas